Author: Brandon Wood – VP of sales at Mondo Solutions.
Backlinks are a vital part of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for small and medium businesses and driving organic traffic to target websites. They play a crucial role in increasing the visibility of a website and improving its ranking on search engines like Google. The higher a website ranks, the more likely it is to be seen by potential customers, leading to an increase in traffic and potential sales.
Hey there everyone! I’m Brandon Wood and I’m the VP of sales at Mondo Solutions. Before the “sales” part though, I’m a marketer and sifting through the noise and black magic of digital marketing (including things like spammy backlinks) is a vital part of what I do in analyzing what marketing tools a business needs.
One of the most important tools for digital marketers when trying to dominate search engine algorithms is and SEO strategy incorporating high quality backlinks.
What is a backlink?
I’m glad you asked! A backlink (also known as an “inbound link” or “incoming link”) is a link from one website to another. It is an indication that the linking website trusts, endorses or finds the linked-to website valuable, and it can improve the linked-to website’s search engine ranking and visibility. These external links are an important SEO tool which tells search engines like Google, that your website (and hence, your business) should be trusted.
Reasons why backlinks are important for small and medium business SEO
- Backlinks boost credibility and trust: Search engines view websites with a large amount of backlinks as reliable and trustworthy. Backlinks show that other sites recognize your website’s content as significant and useful, and are willing to link to it. This can boost your website’s reputation and establish trust among potential customers.
- Improves search engine rankings: Backlinks are an essential element of SEO and play a major role in search engine rankings. The more quality, relevant backlinks a website has, the higher it will rank on SERPs. This can result in increased visibility and traffic to your website, which can ultimately improve your bottom line.
- Provides referral traffic: Incoming links to your website from other sites can deliver referral traffic, which in turn helps improve brand visibility and drives new customers to your business. Backlinks are also instrumental in boosting search engine rankings.
- Increases brand exposure: Backlinks promote your brand to a larger audience and can result in increased traffic, more customers, and better sales. Through a high level backlink profile, you can increase the visibility of your brand and capitalize on the promotion from other websites.
- Improves user experience: Backlinks create a smoother navigation process for visitors to your page by allowing them to access related content. Linking relevant pieces of information allows users to discover more about the topic of interest and stay longer on your website, improving their overall experience. This could result in more conversions for your business.
- Diversifies link profile: To improve your website’s ranking factors, it’s essential to diversify your link profile. Incorporating a mix of inbound links, outbound links, internal links, and more can help boost visibility and increase higher rankings.
How do I get quality backlinks?
While we won’t get into the deep weeds of SEO strategy here (probably because 99% of the people who read this aren’t marketing nerds like me!) that doesn’t mean we can’t show you a couple of types of backlinks you can probably get today!
- Guest blogging: This post you’re reading right here? This is a guest blog post which includes relevant content for members of TTN! Now watch this; because I’ve written this for TTN, they’ve let me use their platform as a well-established networking organization to include a high-quality link to my company. Check it out: click the link to visit our website: MONDO SOLUTIONS!
- Business directories: I’ll touch on this a bit more in a second, but trust me, just as it was imperative that a business be listed in the Yellow Pages back in the day, it’s just as important today for a business to be listed in powerful directories such as Google Business Profile (formerly: Google My Business).
- Vendors and associations:If you’re a roofing company in Colorado, you should be registered with the Colorado Roofing Association (see how I just gave the CRA a backlink?). On that site you can include on your profile page not only your relevant business information (NAP: Name, Address, Phone) but also a backlink to your website.Likewise, that same roofing company may use Malarkey Shingles and under the “Find Contractor” part of Malarkey’s website, Bulldog Roofing can be found on their own profile page which lists certifications and the like. Also there? A backlink from an authoritative source to and authoritative source.
To sum up, backlinks are essential for SEO success for all businesses but more especially, small and medium businesses. They raise website visibility and reputation, help to boost rankings in search engines, generate referral traffic, bring attention to the brand, create a more pleasurable user experience, and diversify the link profile. With the right focus on creating high-quality, relevant links, businesses of this size can reap significant rewards from their SEO efforts.